Kovakkai poriyal/ Tindora fry: I first tasted Tindora in my college hostel. Ever since, it’s on my favourites list. I usually prepare with onion and tomato combination as a side for rasam or curd. Here is the recipe.
1 cup Tindora ( cut into circular pieces)
1/2 medium sized onion (finely chopped)
1/2 medium sized tomato (finely chopped)
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp cummin seeds
1 red chilly
2 -3 garlic pods(finely chopped)
1 stalk of curry leaves
1/2 tbl spn chilli powder
1/4 tspn turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1. Heat 2 tblspn oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds to splutter. Add the cummin seeds, red chilly, curry leaves, garlic pods and sauté.
2. Now add the onions and sauté until golden brown. Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, salt and cook until the tomatoes becomes soft & mushy.
3. Now add the chopped Tindora and sauté for a minute. Add 1/4 cup water and cook in medium flame for 7-8 minutes with lid closed. Stir inbetween.
4. After this, cook with open lid. Most of the water would have been used up and while the vegetable is still moist, add the chilli powder and stir fry in high flame for 2-3 minutes, so that the vegetable becomes completely dry.
5. Tindora fry is now ready. Serve hot with rasam, curd or sambar.