Bitter gourd stir fry: My recent obsession has been the julienne cut – to cut vegetables length wise. After the banana strips recipe that I posted recently, I wanted to make similar interesting recipe with bitter gourd as it is the much avoided vegetable. Normally, julienne cuts are made with carrots, potatoes, capsicum, as they might look like match sticks. On the other-hand, this shouldn’t be a limiting factor and that we could explore with wide variety of vegetables.
3- 4 bitter gourd(parboiled and cut into thin 1 inch length pieces)
2 tblspn rice flour
1 tblspn chilli powder
1/2 tspn turmeric powder
1/2 tblspn fennel seeds
Salt to taste
1. Boil water in a vessel. When the water starts vaporizing, switch off the stove. Add 1 tbl spn salt and 1/4 ts spn turmeric to water and then add the bitter gourds(each cut into two pieces).
3. Cut into 1 inch thin strips.
4. Mix rice flour, turmeric powder, chillipowder and salt to the bitter gourd pieces. Sprinkle water and mix well.
5. Heat 3 tblspn oil on a pan. Add the fennel seeds and then add the bitter gourd pieces. Cook for 2-3 minutes in in medium flame with closed lid.
6. Open the lid and cook for another 15-20 minutes . Adjust flame between low and medium.
7. Cook until the bitter gourd becomes crispy.
7. Serve hot with rice