Mutton Soup Recipe:
Mutton soup & chicken soup are two soups that are very popular in South Indian households. Especially when someone in the house is caught with cold and running nose, first suggestion would be to prepare these soups.
I make mutton soup with peas and potato for my kid every week. I mix the soup with steamed rice and give her – she really enjoys eating it.
1/4 kg mutton with bones
1/2 cup fresh green peas
1/2 cup potato (chopped into small sizes)
1 small tomato (quartered)
1/2 big onion (chopped)
1/2 inch ginger(crushed)
1 tsp pepper cumin powder
1 bay leaf
Few coriander leaves
1 sprig of curry leaves
Pinch of turmeric powder
1/2 tspn fennel seeds
Salt to taste
- Wash the mutton thoroughly and transfer it to the cooker.
- Along with the mutton add the tomatoes, half of the chopped onions, bay leaf, cardamom, crushed ginger garlic, turmeric powder, few coriander leaves, salt and 1 – 2 cup water. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles for the mutton to be soft.
- Now add the green peas and potatoes to the cooked mutton and pressure cook for 1-2 whistles. Transfer the soup to a bowl, add pepper cumin powder and keep aside
- Heat 1 tspn oil in a pan. Add fennel seeds, onions and curry leaves. Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Pour this tempering over the soup and serve hot.
- Dry roast pepper&cumin and them blend them in a mixer. Usually for two parts of pepper, I add 1 part of cummin seeds.
- Soup tastes good without veggies as well. I sometime prepare the same recipe without the veggies.
- You could choose to include other vegetables of your choice.
Happy cooking !