Yellow Pumpkin Poriyal: This is my sis’ favourite veggie and my mom used to get it every other week for her. Recently, my kid also became a great fan of this veggie side dish. Yellow pumpkins have mild sweet taste and they cook really faster. It has got enough water content within that it doesn’t really require water to cook. For this side dish, I usually cook them with closed lid without sprinkling any water and it comes out well.
Yellow pumpkin poriyal tastes good with sambar, rasam and curd. For kids, you could mix directly in steamed rice along with a spoon of ghee & roasted cashwenuts.
1 cup yellow pumpkin (chopped into small size)
1/2 medium sized onion (finely chopped)
1/2 tspn mustard seeds
1/2 tspn cummin seeds
1 tspn urad dal
1 red chilly
1 green chilly
1 sprig of curry leaves
Salt to taste
- Heat 2 tblspn oil in a pan. Add the urad dal.
- When the urad dal turns slight brown, add the mustard seeds to splutter.
- Then add the cummin seeds, red&green chillies, curry leaves and the finely chopped onion – all in quick succession.
- Sauté until the onions become translucent.
- Now add chopped pumpkin, salt and stir for a minute. Then cook with closed lid for 7-8 minutes in low flame.
- Now the pumpkin is cooked, open the lid and give a stir. Switch off the stove
- Serve hot with steamed rice and sambar.