Chicken Stir Fry: I’m a great fan of chef Damodaran’s South Indian dishes and chef Peter Kuruvita’s Sri Lankan dishes. There’s an earthly touch to every dish they prepare imbibing traditional lineage in it – I simply love it! And I keep watching their show. For a change this time it was my husband who was engrossed in a food show – so much so that he went out and got those big knifes that these chefs use and chicken breast to cook. He also gave me some specification on how he wants me to cut the chicken pieces and some spices of his choice. I was really surprised and was more than happy to prepare the same. Though I watch a lot of shows, I never really made any effort to get those professional cuttleries or utensils.
I was able to make beautiful thin slices with the new knife. I think it would be otherwise difficult to make those cuts with my normal knife. Worth spending once in a while!
Chicken breast (300 gms – cut medium thin slices)
1 tblspn chilli powder
1/2 tblspn coriander powder
1/4 tspn turmeric powder
1 tblspn ginger garlic paste
1/4 tspn cinnamon powder(dry roast and grind the cinnamon sticks)
1 tblspn thick curd
1 tspn lemon juice
1 tspn pepper cummin powder
1/2 tspn fennel seeds
1 bay leaf
1 sprig of curry leaves
- Mix all spices( Chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, pepper cummin powder, cinnamon powder) along with salt, ginger garlic paste, curd and lime juice in a bowl to make it into paste. Now add the chicken pieces and mix well so that the spices spread evenly on each individual chicken pieces. Let it marianate for 15 minutes.
- Heat 3-4 tblspn oil in a flat pan. Add fennel seeds and bay leaf. Rotate the pan so that the oil greases the entire pan
- Now spread the chicken pieces on the pan without stiring. Cook in medium flame for 7-8 minutes with closed lid.
- Then open the lid and stir the pieces. Cook for another 7-8 minutes until all the moisture dries out.
- When the moisture is completely dried out, add the curry leaves and stir for another 2-3 minutes in high flame.
- Now your chicken stir fry is ready to be served hot.