Paneer & mixed vegetable stir fry: The first time I came across a paneer bhurji recipe was in David Rocco’s dolce India program. Drawing inspiration from this North Indian preparation, I’ve made this paneer mixed vegetable stir fry. It was one such day when my main dish was very simple and that I decided to make this interesting recipe – I really loved the outcome and my kid relished the dish with cheese topping.
1 cup cauliflower(parboiled and cut into small pieces)
1/2 cup green peas(fresh)
1/4 cup carrot (cut into small pieces)
1/2 Medium sized onion (finely chopped)
1 medium sized banglore tomato(finely chopped)
3-4 tblspn grated paneer
3 tblspn grated cheese(optional)
1/2 tspn mustard seeds
1/2 tspn cummin seeds
1 tspn chilli powder
pinch of turmeric powder
a sprig of curry leaves
1 green chilly
salt to taste
1. Heat 2 tblspn oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds to splutter. Then add the cummin seeds, green chilly and curry leaves in quick succession. Then add the onions and saute until golden brown.
2. Now add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, half salt and saute until the tomatoes become mushy.
3. Then add 1/2 tspn chilly powder. Add the green peas, some water and cook in low flame for 5 minutes with closed lid.
4. Now add the carrots and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
5. Now add the cauliflower, 1/2 tspn chilli powder and some more salt to get absorbed in cauliflower.
6. Sprinkle some water and cook for another 5 minutes.
7. When the vegetables are completely, add the grated paneer and saute for 1-2 minutes.
8. Switch off the stove. Add the grated cheese and serve hot.
1. I have added chilli powder and salt in two phases to evenly distribute the taste on all vegetables.
2. Check out cauliflower cleaning/parboiling steps in my earlier post on cauliflower stir fry.