Dal Makhani from Satnam :
After moving to the new place near my kids school, Satnam was the first person I got connected with. She is a warm, loving person with full of life and energy. A busy mom of two lovely kids, she teaches phonetics for kids and is so passionate about cooking. Between her busy schedule, she has made an effort to bring me Dal Makhani – It tasted so good! I have taken the pics of her Dal Makhani and for all her efforts & tasty preparation, she deserves a column here.
1 cup black urad dal(black gram)
1/4 cup Rajma(Red Kidney beans)
3/4 chana dal(Bengal gram)
2 medium sized onion(finely chopped)
3 medium sized tomatoes(finely chopped)
2 tspn ginger garlic paste
1 tspn red chilly powder
1 tspn garam masala
1 tblspn cream or butter
1/4 tspn turmeric powder
salt to taste
1. Soak black urad dal, rajma & channa dal for 1 hour. Then pressure them along with turmeric powder, salt for 6-7 whistles until the dal is soft. Mash with a laddle and keep aside.
2. Heat 2-3 tblspn oil in a pan. Add the onions and saute until golden brown.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 minutes
3. Then add the tomatoes and cook with closed lid until they turn mushy. Then saute until oil separates from the edges.
4. Now add the chilly power and the garam masala powder. Saute for 2 minutes.
5. To this add the mashed dal and stir well until everything is completely mixed.
6. Switch off the stove, add cream and serve hot with roti/chappati/Naan/Parathas.