Chicken curry: I’m sure that I’m going to post more and more of chicken recipes in my up coming posts – as we could do lot of variations with it. Be it a starter or side dish or curry or snack – you name it and its there everywhere!
I like arachuvitta kozhambhu much better than the curry from normal method, for the freshly roasted and grounded spices add unique taste & aroma to the curry. At the same time, grounding method also yields more of gravy quantity. In this, I dice the onions and quarter the tomatoes and this saves some of my preparation time.
Whether its chutney or curry, wherever I may add the coconut paste, I make sure to scrap of the outer brown skin of the fresh coconut before grinding it into a paste and this improves taste, texture & colour of the preparation.
500 chickens(medium sized pieces)
2 medium sized onion (1&1/2 onion for grinding + 1/2 onion finely chopped for initial tempering)
2 medium sized tomatoes
1 green chilly (slit)
7-8 garlic pods
1 inch ginger
4 tblspn coconut paste
1/2 small sized lemon(juice extracted)
2 sprig of curry leaves
Few coriander leaves (finely chopped)
Spices to dry roast:
4-5 dry red chillies
3 tblspn coriander seeds
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
1/2 tspn fennel seeds
1/2 tspn cummin seeds
1 tspn pepper corns
- Dry roast all the spices – red chillies, coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamom, fennel seeds, cummin seeds, pepper corns. Let it cool off. Grind by adding lil water. Now your spice paste is ready. Keep aside.
- Grind ginger garlic and keep aside.
- Add 1 tblspn oil in a pan and add the 1&1/2 medium sized diced onion. Sauté until translucent. Let it cool off. Coarsely grind in a mixer. Now your Coarse onion paste is ready. Keep aside.
- Blend the raw tomatoes and keep aside the tomato puree
- Grind fresh coconut and keep aside 4 tblspn thick coconut paste.
- Wash and clean chicken. Use turmeric and lemon in the final wash. Keep aside
- Heat 2 tblspn oil in a pan. Add the finely chopped 1/2 medium sized onion, curry leaves and sauté until the onions become golden brown
- Now add the ginger garlic paste, coriander leaves and green chilly. Sauté until the raw smell goes off.
- Now add the coarse onion paste and sauté for two minutes. Then add the tomato puree, turmeric powder and salt. With closed lid, cook on medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Now add the spice paste and saute until oil separates on edges. Now add the chicken pieces. Add very lil water and let the chicken get cooked along with the masala mix for 5 minutes. Cook in medium flame with closed lid.
- Now add one cup water, stir well and cook for 15-20/minuets in medium flame.
- At this stage, the gravy starts to bubble. Now the coconut paste and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Switch off the stove.
- Add lemon juice, stir and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tblspn oil in a pan and add the curry leaves to splutter.
- Pour this tempering over the chicken gravy and serve hot with steamed rice or roti.